Re: file ownership

Subject: Re: file ownership
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 08:03:44 AKDT

On 23 Jul 2002, Jon Reynolds wrote:

> Jim, this is exactly what is happening. Very annoying.
>
> Jon
>
> On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 19:00, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> > Yeah, but what is going to happen to the file ownership when a user
> > opens the file, edits it, and then re-saves it? Who owns it then? How
> > does one keep it editable by the group?

Well, those three smb.conf settings that Matt suggested should take care
of it nicely.

  create mode = 0660

This one forces all files that anyone saves to that share to be mode 660.
This means read and write permissions for the owner, read and write for
the group, and nothing for anyone else.

  directory mode = 0770

This one forces all directories that anyone creates in that share to be
mode 770. This is similar to the above--the owner and all members of the
group can work with the subdirectories, but anyone outside of the group
can't.

  force group = <groupname>

This forces all files and subdirectories which users create in the share
to be associated with the specified group.

Give Matt's suggestions a try--I think you'll find they'll help.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax