Re: openssl and openssh

Subject: Re: openssl and openssh
From: Matthew Schumacher (schu@schu.net)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 22:49:26 AKDT

Greg,

Your problem is that you didn't tell pam about ssh.

Make sure you compile with --with-pam so that ssh knows to use pam but
then tell pam about ssh with the following command:

cp <openssh src dir>/contrib/redhat/sshd.pam-7.x /etc/pam.d/sshd

That will put the following lines in /etc/pam.d/sshd:

#%PAM-1.0
auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session optional /lib/security/pam_console.so

That should take care of it....

schu

gkvokov@techalaska.com wrote:

> Hello All,
> Having a problem with openssh (openssl?). Compile and install goes fine.
> However, when I go to login using putty the right user and password get an
> 'access denied' response.
>
> I'm trying to use password authentication. I've played around with the
> sshd_config file with no luck.
>
> Running Red Hat 7.2. Uninstalled apache, openssl, and openssh using rpm.
> Compiled apache with static openssl. Works fine. Then compiled and installed
> openssl and openssh. The combo seems to work since loging in gets me to the
> login and password phase. Seems to me like a config issue.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Kvokov

"We'll need 2000 crickets, 4 cans of Easy Cheese, and the fluid from 18
glowsticks for this plan to work..."