Re: Pentium MB's

Subject: Re: Pentium MB's
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 21:38:36 AKDT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Adam Elkins wrote:
> On an old Pentium motherboard, when you upgrade to a higher cpu, is
> there something in the BIOS you need to do? I just replaced a 100 with a
> 166, and it's still saying it's a 100. A jumper maybe?

yes.. you do need to change the jumper settings on the motherboard.. take
a look and see if it is marked somewhere (you are actually looking for two
sets of jumpers.. one for bus speed, and one for the clock multiplier). It
probablly isn't marked however, as the majority of manufacturers didn't
start silk-screening that kind of stuff onto boards until the P200
generation of boards.. if it isn't marked, you'll have to go look up the
manual for it on-line (if you can find it.. good luck!)

--James