Re: NFS problem

Subject: Re: NFS problem
From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 11:27:24 AKDT

Peter,

* Peter Q. Olsson <olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu> [2002-Jul-17
* 11:13 AKDT]:
> I am having a problem mounting an exported file system. When I do a
>
> mount -t nfs server_x:/u1 /t1
>
> on client_x I get back nearly instantly a response:
>
> mount: RPC: Program not registered.

The first thing I usually try is running:

    rpcinfo -p server_x

on the client machine. You should see portmapper, nfs and mountd in the
result list. If you don't get these, NFS won't work and there's
something wrong with the setup on the server or the network between the
client and server. (I'd guess an /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/exports
problem on the server)

Since the testing you've done suggests a problem with your client,
perhaps there's a RH nfs-client package that's missing. Someone
RH-enabled might be able to help here. I'd guess that whatever this
package is, it probably contains the rpcinfo command, so if doing my
experiement above results in 'rpcinfo: command not found' this is
probably the case.

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu