NFS problem

Subject: NFS problem
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 11:13:13 AKDT

Hello all-

I am having a problem mounting an exported file system. When I do a

mount -t nfs server_x:/u1 /t1

on client_x I get back nearly instantly a response:

      mount: RPC: Program not registered.

The NFS HOWTO says that this means that machine server_x does not have nfsd
and/or mountd running. However, when I try the above command from another
machine, client_y, I get:

mount server_x:/u1 failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

which is what I would expect, given that the file system has not been exported
to client_y. However, this result suggests (and ps, rpcinfo, run on server_x
confirm) that the appropriate processes are working properly on server_x. This
is further confirmed by the fact I can indeed mount the same exported filesystem
on another machine, client_z, which DOES have a valid entry in server_x's
/etc/exports.

In short, the problem seems to be with client_x, rather than server_x.

BTW, client_x is running RH 7.3, default SMP kernel.

Any hints/suggestions on how to troubleshoot/repair this problem would be
appreciated.

PQO

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |