Fw: Re: Anyone else find this interesting?

Subject: Fw: Re: Anyone else find this interesting?
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 11:18:29 AKDT

Whoops! I hit the wrong "Reply" button. Sorry, Mike. fgd

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:15:22 -0800
From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
To: Mike Barsalou <mbarsalou@aidea.org>
Subject: Re: Anyone else find this interesting?

Interesting, but no thank you. I am not interested in running
Windows applications. In my experience, Windows applications are not
multi-user or multi-tasking friendly. A good example is Netscape or
Communicator on Unix.

OTOH, there are people, businesses, whatever, that just have to use,
say, MS Word. So let 'em. =X~|}}}

(that's me supressing the regurgitation reflex)

Overall, I note their long (15 years) association with SCO. I am not
impressed. Now that Caldera owns the Unix part of SCO, I am even
less impressed. Caldera has long mixed GPL and other similar
licensed software with their or third party propretary software. For
me the experience was not pleaseant.

My experiences drove me to Debian where the line between GPL and
similar licensed software was clear. The bottom line is I cannot
afford to pay for software. As of January 1, 2002, I stopped using
the three applications that run on Windows. I have found substitutes
or I do without. Granted, this is not everyone's option.

My dollar's worth. fgd