Re: ftp scripts

Subject: Re: ftp scripts
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 10:50:01 AKDT

Mike-

If you are a perl user, there is a perl module (available from the CPAN
archives), Net::FTP, that is simple to use, fairly straight forward and
intuitive. I use it in an automated fashion for just the application you
mention in your posting.

It is also nice to have within perl since you can then access all of perl's
other nifty features, e.g., pattern matching, string manipulation, file tests,
etc.

PQO

>Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:47:15 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Mike Baker <mikelbaker@yahoo.com>
>Subject: ftp scripts
>To: aklug@aklug.org
>

>Is there a mechanism to have an ftp script in linux like there is in Windows.
I want to log into a number of computers to ftp some data extracts. I have
batch files in windows that I can schedule and figure that there must be a way
to do this in Linux also. In windows you pass a command file to ftp that it
reads and then executes the commands in order. When I do a man ftp I don't see
this option.

>Thanks
>
>Mike

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |