Re: new computer recommendations

Subject: Re: new computer recommendations
From: Adam Elkins (i-robot@gci.net)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 13:50:16 AKDT

Justin Dieters wrote:

>I'm looking at building a new computer. Looking at something pretty
>good, but not _too_ expensive. Athlon 2100+, 512 RAM, decent 3d vid
>card, 24X or higher cd/rw, 40gb+ hard drive.
>
>I'm hoping that someone has recommendations for what hardware works the
>best with linux. Particularly the video card, sound card, and
>motherboard (usb in particular)
>
>Also, I've heard of some problems with combinations of athlon, agp, and
>linux. Does anyone know what the problem is, and how I can avoid it?
>
>Any other general recommendations on what hardware to get would be good
>too. :)
>
>Thanks,
>Justin
>
>P.S. if anyone is interested in a nice laptop, i'm planning on selling
>mine to help pay for this new desktop :)
>

>---------

Justin,
As far as video cards, you shouldnt have a problem unless you buy
generic stuff. Most ATI and GForce are supported, so more or less, the
popular stuff. I have an ATI RAdeon that works great. Motheroards....the
new ASUS talks. No more post beeps, it just tells you. In general, I've
had awesome luck with MSI boards (though I'd stay away from the Si
chipsets, stick with the new VIA K7T333)
I haven't heard of any problems with the athlon myself....nor agp. I
only use AMD, never a problm. Hmmm....hope that helps somehow, I don't
really see it helping, but I'm gonna send it anyway.

Adam