Re: Slackware 8.1

Subject: Re: Slackware 8.1
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 06:54:43 AKDT

> Ok, here is what I've learned.
>
> THE KERNEL...
> The kernel source that comes with Slack 8.1 is broken. To fix it you
> need to down load the 2.4.18 source from the net. Then you need to
> rename /lib/modules/2.4.18 to something else. I called it
> 2.4.18.broken because they are broken. Once you do this you can
> compile the kernel source you down loaded from the net with out any
> problems.

<G> What a freaking mess. So Slack is going the way of RH, Mandrake, and
all the other yucklenuts and not providing a pristine (working) source tree
to work from? You know, if you have to patch the kernel just to get the
features you want (and it's not a security fix), then it's called
the "bleeding edge". And that's *not* somewhere any self-respecting server
OS should be. XFS is the only exception I would make to that rule (and only
because of the overall maturity of the code base). Outside of that, leave
the damned thing alone.

This reminds me why I abandoned them for my own use. . .

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto