RE: tcp/ip

Subject: RE: tcp/ip
From: James Zuelow (jamesz@ideafamilies.org)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 12:18:26 AKDT

The modern versions of Linux and *BSD are already IPv6 aware and
functional - to a point. While some applications understand & use IPv6
well, others don't. However you should already have the ability to use IPv6
if you so choose. The default Apache install for 1.3.26 & 2.0.39 are IPv6
ready, and there are others. (Be careful though, I have heard that IPv6
firewalls are a rare breed.)

As far as everyone being switched over next year, I would take that with a
grain of salt. I'm guessing it will be a slow process until IPv6 reaches a
critical mass, and then the remainder of the net will switch overnight.
There's just too much coordination & configuration to be done. There are
already gateways to the "IPv6 internet" available if you want to test IPv6
on your local network. See http://www.6bone.net/ for more info.

Hope this helps - my IPv6 knowledge is mostly theoretical.

Cheers,

James