Re: Meeting reminder

Subject: Re: Meeting reminder
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 08:36:21 AKDT

On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 00:33, James Gibson wrote:

> Not that I'll be there (heh..), but I'd be more interested to hear how
> Open Office documents translate into MS Office, as that's more likely the
> situation I'd be worried about.
>
> James Gibson
>

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Mike Barsalou wrote:
> > This is a reminder that there will be a monthly meeting on Wednesday the
> > 19th. We will be talking about and demonstrating compatibility between
> > Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.
> >
> > If you like, you can bring documents that have been created in Microsoft
> > Office and test the Open Office suite.
> >
> > Mike

Since I am one of several WordPerfect users left on the planet :) the
scenario I have started using on my home made WP templates is to 'save
as' MS Word doc (thanks to Buddha for the tip) then open in OO.org. This
is working pretty well, some editing required but definately better than
re-creating all my forms in OO.org. The final step 'save as' Open Office
doc,btw the OO.org file size is much smaller, and it seems most of the
formatting is preserved. This is all done on an NT4 box, there are some
issues to be resolved with using these converted docs with OO.org on my
Linux box. I do not use macros in my documents, mostly tables with some
graphics.

MS Office is not welcome here so can't do any testing as James suggests
:)

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.