Re: testing X and other graphic issues

Subject: Re: testing X and other graphic issues
From: Mike Baker (mikelbaker@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 09:08:51 AKDT

Mike,
We had the same kind of thing here, a new Dell notebook and verrry slow 3D graphics. We are running SuSE 8.0 and they have a program called 3Ddiag that helped us troubleshoot. We needed to download and install a package, (xf86_glx I think), and after modifying the default colors under screen to 16 bit in the XF86 configuration file, ( I'm forgetting the exact name, 3Ddiag told us to do it), it seemed to work fine. I don't know what kinds of utilities are available for a RedHat distribution.
I hadn't read many replies to this, and although I don't think this will probably help much thought it might lead you off into a direction that might make sense for your situation.
  Mike Barsalou <mbarsalou@aidea.org> wrote:
Is there a good program to use that would test your X setup and let you know
if stuff was configured wrong? This question is most probably aimed at
3D-graphics type stuff.

I was helping a friend the other day with his laptop, we tried to install
tuxracer onto the machine and it was VERY SLOW!

The program worked fine on other machines. So it has to be something to do
with the Graphics card or the configuration...this is where the fun begins.

Where does a guy start when troubleshooting a problem like this? I have
been able to go onto google and other places and get recommendations, but
that is sort of a hap hazard way of troubleshooting the problem.

The graphics card works, because X is running just fine. Seems speedy
enough.

We are using XFree86 version 4 so...I think...we have the most recent
version for the card.

Anyone?

Mike

---------