testing X and other graphic issues

Subject: testing X and other graphic issues
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 16:16:52 AKDT

Is there a good program to use that would test your X setup and let you know
if stuff was configured wrong? This question is most probably aimed at
3D-graphics type stuff.

I was helping a friend the other day with his laptop, we tried to install
tuxracer onto the machine and it was VERY SLOW!

The program worked fine on other machines. So it has to be something to do
with the Graphics card or the configuration...this is where the fun begins.

Where does a guy start when troubleshooting a problem like this? I have
been able to go onto google and other places and get recommendations, but
that is sort of a hap hazard way of troubleshooting the problem.

The graphics card works, because X is running just fine. Seems speedy
enough.

We are using XFree86 version 4 so...I think...we have the most recent
version for the card.

Anyone?

Mike