Re: stripping /libs/binaries of symbols.......

Subject: Re: stripping /libs/binaries of symbols.......
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 19:48:53 AKDT

> I need help understanding the debug process and stripping my
> pkgs/libs from having symbols taking up space............
>
> I understand I can use the strip --strip-debug to get rid of the
> symbols on my libs I am preparing for a ram disk installer, but can
> I remove all symbols and not get into trouble.......I don't
> understand the symbols all the way yet........
>
> Are symbols not for debbuging only if I want to trace a problem in
> code, what if I don't, then I shouldn't need them no?.......
>
> When compiling a peice of code I strip it of symbols, but I want to
> strip all for the lowest space takin up on my ramdsik installer........
> I am using a lilo drivin mbr on cd to install my cut down version of
> slackware to a temp=/mnt filesystem but just trying to get things as
> small as possible for more pkgs to fit on the disk...............

In theory, you're correct, it should be safe to strip the symbols. In
practice, however, there's been several packages that just didn't function
correctly once stripped (you can find several discussions about this problem
on usenet). I don't recall reading if anyone had isolated the problem, and
the last reports I've read were a few years ago. So, if you're going to do
so, I'd recommend doing only one package at a time, and test them thoroughly
before going on to the next.

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto