stripping /libs/binaries of symbols.......

Subject: stripping /libs/binaries of symbols.......
From: Eric Fortner (emf33@gci.net)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 14:08:57 AKDT

I need help understanding the debug process and stripping my pkgs/libs from having
symbols taking up space............

I understand I can use the strip --strip-debug to get rid of the symbols on my libs
I am preparing for a ram disk installer, but can I remove all symbols and not get
into trouble.......I don't understand the symbols all the way yet........

Are symbols not for debbuging only if I want to trace a problem in code, what if
I don't, then I shouldn't need them no?.......

When compiling a peice of code I strip it of symbols, but I want to strip all for the
lowest space takin up on my ramdsik installer........
I am using a lilo drivin mbr on cd to install my cut down version of slackware to a
temp=/mnt filesystem but just trying to get things as small as possible for more pkgs
to fit on the disk...............

ThanXs in advance guys!

emf