Re: NEED HELP: containing files on MAKE INSTALL/COMPILE

Subject: Re: NEED HELP: containing files on MAKE INSTALL/COMPILE
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 13:47:52 AKDT

> Hello all:
>
> I have recently been compiling all of my sources [being xfce,mozilla
> sylpheed, aterm......etc] for install on Slackware
> beta8.1b......easy enough to compile.......with dependencies.
>
> However on one of these source tarballs I can't seem to get the
> files to install where I want them to go........
>
> EXAMPLE:
>
> my setup is>
>
> /usr/src/work/= my work area
> /usr/src/work/build/usr= my you files go in here damnit.......... :(
> some work just fine!
>
> my try at it
>
> cd /usr/src/work, tar xzvf xfcexxx.tar.gz, ./configure --prefix=/usr
> \ --sysconfdir=/etc/X11 \
                                                --with-data-
> dir=/usr/share/xfce \ --
disable-nls make make install prefix=/usr/src/work/build/usr

> THIS puts only the binary/man files in /usr/src/work/build/usr
>
> NOW if I go this route it works except for a few
> files.......libxfce.* which are in the gtk section...
>
> here is the one way I have it working so far except for the
> libxfce.* files
>
> same work area as above only ./configure --prefix=/usr/src/work/build/usr
> --
sysconfdir=/usr/src/work/build/etc/X11
> --with-data-
dir=/usr/src/work/build/usr/share/xfce
> --disable-nls
> make install prefix=same as above example prefixed before...
>
> this make so I can use makepkg from slackware in the
> /usr/src/work/build/ makepkg xfce.tgz
>
> How can I force ginstall I keep seing while make install is running
> to put all of the files in the /usr/src/work/build dir=pkgdir
>
> Do I have to config morre options or what......I am trying guys just
> a tad stumped here......
>
> also Arthur, someone else who is a guru @ compiling is there way to
> see all of my files being installed and where in the devil they all went
> or just find / someoption for finding them....
> The files I can't get to work are in the /usr/lib/gtk/themes/engines
> 'libxfce.a libxfce.la* libxfce.so*'

Did anyone ever answer this? Just a few notes: the only way to know for
sure what files are installed is to read the Makefiles (maybe do a grep for
ginstall, etc.). As far as forcing a build for packaging, some people just
haven't considered that need, and so you would need to modify the Makefile to
user a variable for root prefix, etc.

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto