Re: opportunity for Linux to manage calendar and contacts for Windows network

Subject: Re: opportunity for Linux to manage calendar and contacts for Windows network
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 10:58:21 AKDT

Oh! Wow! Having made the monthly AKLUG meeting last night at which
Mike Barsalou presented the "horde" and its three members "IMP" for
web e-mail, "Kronolith" for calendaring, and "Turba" for contact
management, the answer is a no-brainer. I would even, although a
Debian user, would support the Red Hat 7.3 installation Mike
demonstrated to quickly set up a standalone server.

I was so taken by the presentation that I had to find out more about
the "horde", so I took a look at http://www.horde.org without even
doing a Google search. The site brought about more understanding for
me as well as the knowledge that the licenses for the framework and
applications are all of the "open-source" nature. The framework
(horde) is under the LGPL, IMP is under the GPL, and Turba is under
an Apache like license. At first look I couldn't find what license
applied to Kronolith. Kronolith is in development, but it appears to
be useable as a organization wide calendar given an organizational
login and password.

Cheerio! fgd