Re: Suse 8.0 and Samba startup?

Subject: Re: Suse 8.0 and Samba startup?
bryan@ak.net
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 10:22:49 AKDT

Arthur Corliss wrote in <20020523063446.M3752@corlissfamily.org>:

> > Init scripts are even different styles from one distro to the
> > next. Slackware, for instance, uses SysV init scripts, but if
> > I'm not mistaken, redhat and debian use BSD style.
>
> Actually, it's the opposite. Slack is BSD'ish, while most other Linux
> distros are SysV'ish. The primary differences are simple: BSD uses run
> level *scripts* to bring the system up and down, while SysV uses a script
> framework that process symlinks in run-level directories to do the same.

Right. I was confused because Slackware installs a package called
sysvinit, which calls itself a set of SysV init scripts. But at the
top of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysvinit, we see this comment:

# rc.sysvinit This file provides basic compatibility with SystemV style
# startup scripts. The SystemV style init system places
# start/stop scripts for each runlevel into directories such as
# /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ (for runlevel 3) instead of starting them
# from /etc/rc.d/rc.M. This makes for a lot more init scripts,
# and a more complicated execution path to follow through if
# something goes wrong. For this reason, Slackware has always
# used the traditional BSD style init script layout.

So there we have it.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net