Re: opportunity for Linux to manage calendar and contacts for Windows network

Subject: Re: opportunity for Linux to manage calendar and contacts for Windows network
From: Jacob Gemmell (evilbob@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 10:11:43 AKDT

Check out http://www.bynari.net and look at their Insight Server. It is
supposed to be a drop in replacement for Exchange Server. It looks like
the Server comes with 25 license for the Insight Connector which should
give you what you need. And it even works with Outlook. That and it only
cost $600 with the licenses.

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Andy Firman wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:22:19 -0800
> From: Andy Firman <aflist@gci.net>
> To: aklug@aklug.org
> Subject: opportunity for Linux to manage calendar and contacts for
> Windows network
>

> I have a client with NT Server 4.0 and about 20 workstations
> running NT workstation and Win2000 Pro. All of their company
> email is managed by MTAOnline with no problems.
>
> They would like a centralized place to access a company
> wide calendar and contacts database. My client has been
> asking me about Exchange Server. I just checked pricing
> from MS and its $699 for Exchange 2000 Server. I think this
> would be way overkill for what they need and they are open
> to try something different to save money.
>
> This is a great opportunity to introduce Linux to my client.
> I have some skills with Redhat 7.2 and Suse 8.0. (beginner)
>
> My question is what kind of opportunities are there for
> accomplishing this task with Linux? Any applications out there
> for Linux that I can install and put on my clients network
> for a simple central place they can all access for calendar
> and contacts? They have some spare boxes available for
> me to install Linux and put on the network.
>
> I really enjoy learning Linux so I hope you all can point
> me in some direction here. This would be a good project for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy Firman
>
> 907-357-3699 (office)
> 907-841-6498 (mobile)
> 509-695-7043 (fax)
> www.firmanconsulting.com

evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org

Remember, if you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day; but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.