Re: restoring from tape

Subject: Re: restoring from tape
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 13:41:31 AKDT

On 16 May 2002, Mike Barsalou wrote:

> What is the best way to make a tape backup, then do a restore of the
> full system? I am thinking about a full restore in the case of a system
> crash.
>
> The way I would normally do it is reinstall the operating system, then
> do a full restore.

The only time I've ever had to do a "bare metal" restore was using AMANDA
(www.amanda.org). I did something similar to what you describe--the
barest, skinniest install of whatever the box had previously, then install
the AMANDA client apps, and then do the restore.

> Any simpler way to do it in Linux?

I still haven't done it yet, but I would really like to create a bootable
cd containing as many useful system utilities as possible, (in my case,
including the AMANDA client apps). Ideally this would allow me to pop the
cd in the drive, boot it up, and then just do the restore. Eliminating
that first step of a bare OS install would be a nice time saver.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax