Re: ssh hangs

Subject: Re: ssh hangs
From: Michael Gillson (Michael_Gillson@chugachelectric.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 09:33:55 AKDT

I do exactly as you describe. I have things work slowly or very slowly
if the GCI Cable Modem is busy.
I have apparent lock ups but if I just wait it will usually come back.
The handshake via the cable modem seems to take a long time.
When I use WinSCP to transfer files, I get a steady transfer rate. If
I transfer in the morning,
the transfer rate is very reasonable. Around 4 or 5 PM and the
transfer rate is painfully slow.

My firewall and server have no keyboard or monitor so ssh is the only
way I communicate. When
I do this inside the firewall on via a 100 Meg hub, everything works
very fast as if I was directly on the linux boxes.

>>> "Chris Hamilton" <chris@digitalalaska.com> 05/14/02 09:24AM >>>

Hi all, I'm trying to remotely manage a server down in Soldotna. I've
got
ssh set up down there, but my sessions keep hanging. The server has
OpenSSH
2.5.2p2. When I ping the machine I am connecting from I am getting
150
millisecond average times. Would that cause it to lock up a session?
The
server in question has an ACS dsl connection with port 22 being
forwarded
through a Nexlan router. I'm working from a GCI cable modem, using
putty as
my client. It locks up primarily if I try to use vi, or ls on a large
directory.

Update... I just tried it from my office with GCI dsl using putty, the
average time was 100 msecs. I was able to do my needed tasks without
locking up. So I guess it's a network issue. Any insights?

Thanks

CHris.