Re: OT free mag subscriptios HUH?

Subject: Re: OT free mag subscriptios HUH?
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 19:06:39 AKDT

> Recently I have again received in the mail several
> Network related Magazine subscription notices
> Stating something to the effect ....
> "For IT Professionals only"...regularly $95-195$
> Free...You will not be billed ever !!"
>
> The latest two are;
> Network Computing and Info World
>
> I am sure I am not the only one receiving this
> kind of stuff...Has anyone actually sent in
> for their "Free Subscription"

I get a whole slew of these. Typically, you'll receive these offers because
you've filled out some survey stating that you influence/recommend/approve IT
purchases for your own or other organisations. Having you as a reader makes
the rag in question more appealing to advertisers, which is where the bulk of
magazine revenue comes from. Other magazines might offer free readership
just to bulk up the number of subscribers so that they can lure in
advertisers at all, but this is usually limited to new magazines.

I have or am recieving both those rags right now, so those are legitimate
offers.

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto