RE: Getting Linux into schools

Subject: RE: Getting Linux into schools
From: Brian ThunderEagle (aklug@arcadia.2y.net)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 01:48:45 AKDT

        You know what I see having the possibility for potential is, with the
increase in Linux use throughout the world, people definately need to start
getting educated in Linux. If there could be a course provided, say at KCC
within the Computer science class, hopefully to be taught by someone with
decent Linux experience would be a big step. I really don't see this
actually happening any time soon, but it's a thought.
        I agree the the finance that goes into what the school districts already
have is enough to keep the school district away from change. Regardless,
they could save money fast when license renewals come up. Instead of
renewing licenses, that could be the opportunity for change. There was a
study done in Windows 2000 magazine showing the cost difference in running a
Linux environment vs. a Windows environment. Differences were in the
millions of dollars for businesses. What needs to be done, is a study of
perhaps just a single school and the cost differences of each type of setup.
Not only could this provide benificial information to the school district
and a good movement for the Linux world, it would simply be an interesting
thing to do. I myself would actually be interested in conducting this kind
of study for service since I only live about 1-2 miles away from it, and one
of the primary ASD buildings is in the Huffman business park, just down the
road from me where all of the district wide servers are held.
        The Linux market is definatly open, and a great interest to keep budgets
low. When it comes to the school district where money is limited and the
residents pay for, I see the school districts spending $100,000 on computers
and software a very large waste of money when those funds could be used to
improve the quality of the schools.

Just my .02 on everything, plus a bit more.

        Brian ThunderEagle (Web / Network Administrator)
        mailto:furbs@arcadia.2y.net
        http://arcadia.2y.net
        http://akfragfest.n3.net