Re: Getting Linux into schools

Subject: Re: Getting Linux into schools
From: Mark-Nathaniel Weisman (mark@infinitevisions.ws)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 23:12:12 AKDT

on 5/7/02 10:59 PM, Barsalou at mbarsalou@aidea.org wrote:

> Do any of you think this will help at all to get Linux into the schools?
>
> http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2002/press_education2.html

Mike and List;
  I don't think that offering this to schools is where we are going to see
change. Schools are stuck in the same situation that today's small
businesses are facing; they've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars
into what they've got, and until we find a profitable way for them to get
out from under that, we'll still see a lack of Linux use in the classroom as
the operating system of choice.
  On the other hand, if a school district were to say "I need 1000 more
licenses, and each license is going to cost the district $180 up front. But,
yet I have 5 servers over here that could run this open source......." Then
I see a chance for change.

His Servant,
Mark