lilo dilemma

Subject: lilo dilemma
From: Chris Hamilton (chris@digitalalaska.com)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 15:24:33 AKDT

I'm having a bit of trouble with a fresh rh 7.0 install. I can boot into
the system but I need a floppy to do it. I'm pretty lame when it comes to
lilo issues. I've read the man pages for lilo and lilo.conf, but am still
left using my floppy to boot.

When I type lilo I get

Warning: device 0x0306 exceeds cylinder limit
Fatal: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (20584 > 1023)

The hard drive is a quantum fireball 15 gig. When I boot up without a
floppy it goes through its memory check, finds the floppy then beeps once
and just sits there. I've fiddled with the boot options in the bios, but to
no avail. I read that a single beep may indicate a memory problem. Could
that be affecting my boot up process. I've got 48 mb in it.

This isn't a duel boot system. Just red hat.

Thanks.

Chris.