Re: Laptops that work with linux

Subject: Re: Laptops that work with linux
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 10:52:22 AKDT

On Sun, 05 May 2002 14:39:55 -0800
Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions lug. I appreciate the help in choosing
> a good system. I had got a Sony ?Vaio? but it was a mess. It had
> been a floor model at Costco and it ran every OS about as good as
> a brick. Has anyone else had this problem with the Sony's?
>
> Jon

Greetings Jon. I have a Sony Vaio PGC F250. I bought it in a mild
panic about two years ago from Sam's Club (east of Northway Mall).
With the rebates and price drop refund (I guess Sony discontinued
this model) I put in 128M (max size permissable) for a total of
160M.

With the base 32M RAM, W98 was a dog == brick. The added RAM made
W98, ah..., well, W98. Then I did some magic with PartitionMagic to
free up about 2G on the 4G drive. I installed Debian (whatever CD I
had lying around at the time) and have updated/upgraded to the woody
(testing). I find it quite satisfactory for the things I do.

I have not, repeat, NOT, tried to set up the sound, infra-red, or
the winmodem. I was doing heavy LaTeX work as well as a little perl
and Internet surfing, of course. I bought a Linksys pcmcia Ethernet
adapter for 10baseT and 10base2 (yes, at home, I use 10base2).

So, Jon, I can't give much more help, sorry. The various models are,
well, different. Some seem to do much better than others. There was
a web site devoted to putting Linux on Sony Vaio laptops, but alas,
I can't find it in my bookmarks, and I can't even remember how I
found it.

Cheerio! Remember, YMMV. fgd