RE: [Fwd: [luau] A Mission For Luau]

Subject: RE: [Fwd: [luau] A Mission For Luau]
From: Jon Reynolds (jonr@destar.net)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 19:26:39 AKDT

There is more than just the schools out there. I have setup a non-profit
with linux as the servers, as have a few of you I'm sure. I believe
anywhere we can make an inroad could be considered a success. I don't
believe we would accept 286 and install RH7.2 on them but we could get
low end pentiums and set them up with a non-demanding install i.e.
WindowMaker,Opera,openoffice... I have this setup at work for a few of
the workstations and they run great. I am sure there are people out
there who can't afford computers, this would be perfect for them. As for
trying to teach people, we could give them the tools and they would have
to RTF. We could subscribe them to the list so they could ask questions
and get answers from real users.

We don't need to jump into corporate America and try and dominate the
market from the outset..first you must learn to crawl before you can fly
Grasshopper. People on public assistance could use them and their kids
would grow up with Linux as the choice OS. Nobody is going to call us
and tell us to redo their network with Linux, when all they know is M$.
We need to start trying to get innovative with trying to promote Linux
in every crevice that Bill's crap hasn't already seeped into.If we can't
affect change know, we can begin to build the foundation for the future
of Linux in Alaska.

Jon