Re: atapi scsi ?

Subject: Re: atapi scsi ?
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 19:06:50 AKDT

> I am looking to buy a dvd recorder, prefer scsi since that is what
> the box is that I want to use has.I have found a dvd-r that is
> (afaikt) an atapi drive installed in an external scsi case. So, for
> the extra $300 , what is the difference between scsi & atapi ? This
> is the Pioneer dvr A04 drive. Also is anyone recording dvd's with
> Linux ? Send me an email if you like.

SCSI is always superior to ATAPI for the simple reason that the controller
off-loads a lot of the work from the CPU. Couple that with the better
buffering on SCSI, and you'll get a lot less bad burns every time. While I
don't care for SCSI <-> EIDE adapters, as long as you're running on a SCSI
bus, you should get the same advantages a pure SCSI solution would provide.

I'm not burning DVDs, but I do have a SCSI CD-RW on my IRIX box. At a mere
195MHz, burning CDs hits my processor for a mere 2% at worst. I can beat the
hell out of the box all day during a burn, and the SCSI system will keep the
buffer full and the burn uninterrupted. . .

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto