Re: DarkSide Express

Subject: Re: DarkSide Express
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 17:23:23 AKDT

Being the opinionated UNIX/Linux geek that I am, I refuse to use Windows
even at work. We are an all windows shop when it comes to desktops (our
main servers are AIX, which is what I admin), but I cope well enough. I
used to use an ICA Client to run a Win2K desktop on my Linux box, but
the recent release of Evolution's Exchange Connector and StarOffice 6.0

Evolution integrates fairly well with exchange with the Ximian
Connector, though it isn't perfect. My only real complaint is that it
won't autocomplete and e-mail address from the Exchange Global Address
Book (this is a know issue that they say will be fixed in ver 1.2).

StarOffice 6.0 Beta hasn't failed to open any word or excel file that
I've received. My only complaint with SO is it's slow startup speed and
lack of cut & paste compatibility with other apps (again, a known issue
that's supposed to be fixed in the final version).

Evolution is free, but the Exchange Connector costs $70.

Star Office 6.0 Beta is free, but the final version won't be (price
isn't determined yet, but the rumor is that it will be either $50 or
$99).

I haven't tried OpenOffice yet, but that may be a viable free
alternative to StarOffice.

Honestly, anything that I need to do at work, I can now do in Linux.

Anthony