Re: DarkSide Express

Subject: Re: DarkSide Express
From: Dave Loutrel (ACME) (dbl@acme-ent.net)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 22:55:56 AKDT

I just thought I'd strap myself to a cross and respond to this. I
administer a number of linux web servers. I have several local linux boxes,
but for doing a lot of my bullshit work, I (mea culpa) prefer M$.

The reasons are that some software we use is not available (nor is a
replacement available) on linux. At this point I'd say we are about 80%
there.

My guess is that we will be ready for a complete changeover in the next 12
month.

Basically there are two issues: one, the aforementioned app software
deficit, and;
two, the problems with conversion. While I do like Evolution, it is a
fscking pain to migrate existing OE mail over. Evolution also doesn't allow
the ordering of files the way we have grown accustom to with OE.

Finally I have yet to find a decent code editor for perl/php that gives me
line numbers on any linux system. I know I can do this with vi (no emacs
here), but I do enjoy my HTML-Kit for working on large perl/php projects.

While about 90% of my work is done on linux via ssh (command line work), I
gotta say I do apprecieate a good UI.

Dave Loutrel
Operations Manager,
ACME Enterprises Hosting & Design