Re: sendmail help

Subject: Re: sendmail help
From: James Bagley Jr. (james@thelostnet.net)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 12:37:32 AKDT

Your reverse name lookup doesn't match your forward... This is a problem
that can be delt with in two ways.

You can either set your MX record to 186-3-237-24-cable.anchorageak.net or
you can tell postfix/sendmail to use mail.gci.net as the relay host.

when a mail server does a reverse lookup on that ip and gets something
else, then mail service is rejected. If your mail server advertised
itself as 186-3-237-24-cable.anchorageak.net and that was also in your MX
record then your reverse will match your forward and everyone will be
happy.

since you are part of gci's network their mail server should allow you to
relay email. Setting mail.gci.net as the relay host in sendmail/postfix
will send all outgoing mail through their servers.

hope that helps,

-james

On 21 Apr 2002, Anthony Valentine wrote:

> Hello Greg.
>
> This may not be what you are looking for, but it may help you out.
>
> I stopped using sendmail years ago. I find that it is too difficult to
> configure and it's got a steep learning curve. I've moved to Postfix.
> It is a drop in replacement for sendmail, it is fast, reliable, easy to
> configure, and is designed with security in mind.
>
> RedHat doesn't come with Postfix, though they have a HOWTO on installing
> it, which is easy to follow and can have you up and running in a flash.
> I've got Postfix running on my RH7.2 server and it works great.
>
> Here are a few links that will help you out if you decide to go that
> route.
>
> RedHat Postfix HOWTO:
> http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/RH-postfix-HOWTO/book1.html
>
> RedHat Postfix FAQ:
> http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/faqs/RH-postfix-FAQ/book1.html
>

> Either way you go, I wish you luck!
>
> Anthony
>

> On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 11:02, gkvokov@ieee.org wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I've asked some questions to the group previously about setting up sendmail.
> > They were specific questions and I got some specific responses back, thanks
> > for the help there. However, at the time I didn't have much time to work
> > things out and now I'm in need of a mail server and still can't get the thing
> > working. I can receive email just fine, but sending out email gets kicked back
> > due to reverse lookup. I've tried all the suggestions you guys gave, plus many
> > other things.
> >
> > I'm running RH7.2 with a GCI cable modem. The domain name is techalaska.com,
> > static IP is 24.237.3.186, name servers are iliamna.gci.net and spurr.gci.net.
> > Reverse lookup for 24.237.3.186 shows 186-3-237-24-cable.anchorageak.net. Both
> > name and IP nslookups show server and server's address as localhost and
> > 127.0.0.1 (problem here?). GCI handles mail through mail.techalaska.com.
> >
> > Does someone have a sample sendmail configuration file or m4 file,
> > specifically setup to use GCI's cable modem, that they could share with me? It
> > seems to me with so many cable modem and linux users that sendmail has been
> > worked out to work in this situation.
> >
> > Thanks all,
> > Frustrated Greg
> >

> > ---------