Re: pine in debian

Subject: Re: pine in debian
From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:18:20 AKDT

* FeLoNiouS MoNK <codered@gci.net> [2002-Apr-11 09:41 AKDT]:
> has anyone successfully compiled pine in debian?.. i tried with
> tarball and no go .. then i saw they had a .deb come out .. two
> actually cause one of the modules it asks for is under a different
> name in debian .. but still having problems.. .. im sure i can figure
> it out but i am just making sure it is able to be compiled for this
> distro .. obtw .. woody is the distro

Try:

    apt-get source --build pine

The first time you run this it'll probably fail because you don't have
the right -dev dependencies to build the packages. Just do

    apt-get install [packages listed as missing]

and then repeat the 'apt-get source' command.

For this to work, you'll need a source line in your
/etc/apt/sources.list. These should be sufficient:

    deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main
        contrib non-free

(the last two lines should be one line in the file) These are sid
lines, and I'm not 100% sure a source package exists for woody, but just
s/sid/woody/ in these lines and give it a whirl.

When it finishes, you should have a series of *.deb packages in the
current directory. Just do

    dpkg --install *.deb

and you've got Pine.

Before you do all this, consider mutt. It's a fantastic MUA, although
the learning curve is fairly steep at first. And it's truly free
software.

FYI, this source --build system can be used for virtually any Debian
package, which allows you to optimize any package you want for your
processor. Debian binary packages are compiled for i386 architecture.
I think this is overrated, but some people believe you can get 10 -
20% improvement in speed by compiling for newer Intel / AMD hardware
(586, 686, K6, K7 etc.)

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu