Partitioning/wiping?

Subject: Partitioning/wiping?
From: Jim Dory (jdory@dorydesign.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 15:52:58 AKST

Hello folks,

I've got this old Dell Poweredge that has life left in it. It came from
another department with WinNT Server loaded on it. I loaded Suse 7.3 on
it so I can boot linux via a boot floppy. Otherwise it comes up with WinNT.

Well, we haven't been able to find the license to the WinNt so I'm going
to take it off the machine. My question is should I reformat or just go
into Suse and repartition things using Yast2 or something? Yast2 seems
usable, not sure if I would be any good with anything command line
oriented other than the standard fdisk.

So if I don't have to reformat, I don't have to reinstall Suse. I would
then need to figure out how to get grub or lilo working, but that is
another story.

Here's the partition table as it exists. Suggestions on redoing it would
be great.
Device Size Type Mount
      Blocks
/dev/sda 8.4 GB Seagate -ST3914OW 0-1105
sda1 1.9 GB Dos /windows/C
 0-255
sda2 4.4 GB Extended
   522-1105
sda3 2.0 GB Linux Native /
    259-521
sda4 15.7 MB Linux Native /boot
257-258
sda5 4.0 GB Dos /windows/D
 522-1043
sda6 486.3 Dos /windows/E
1044-1105

sdb 4.0GB WDIGTL-WDE4360 0-521
sdb1 2.0GB Dos /windows/F
   0-260
sdb2 2.0GB Extended
     261-286
sdb5 203.9MB Linux Swap swap 261-286
sdb6 1.0GB Linux Native /var
  287-417
sdb7 815.7MB Linux Native /temp
 418-521

So when I initially installed Suse, this partitioning scheme was the
best I could come up with on what I knew. Still don't know much else.
Maybe I could use a root, boot, swap, home?, user partition? I don't know.

This server may be used for some file sharing and or backups. Nothing
too strenuous. Probably only has 64MB of ram, haven't yet looked yet. I
may decide to upgrade some components depending on what I do with it.
Little more ram or something.

Thanks for looking,
JD