lastb

Subject: lastb
From: Chris Hamilton (chris@digitalalaska.com)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 10:43:22 AKST

Does anyone have a script that would send an email when a modification
was made to the btmp file? I just stumbled across the lastb command.
That will show you the bad login attempts. I was getting errors at first
saying that the btmp file didn't exist. So if you get that error, just
create a "btmp" file in your /var/log/ directory (may vary across
distros???).

Anyway, I was thinking that it would be very nice to get an email
notification when bad login attempts were made (for a single user
system). Any other security suggestions are always welcome.

Chris.