Permission questions......

Subject: Permission questions......
From: Eric Fortner (emf33@gci.net)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 09:09:43 AKST

Well, I am trying to understand my /bin /sbin perms so that I can
tighten things up more than done here........

I must say I am studying these perms for my understanding and securing of
my core linux not to start any FRIGGING wars on what distro are better than
others when out of the box setups are completed..........
That being said, I have in front of me a RedHat 7.2 box that I have compiled
numerous srcrpms for with perms to only run for certain people/groups
but then I discover my box has all of the bin/sbin binaries made usable
to root.root.world of course no writing to them past the owner........

I want to remove all of the world and set groups of users to certain binaries
I guess realy kill the perms on the worlds access to these binaries........

I would assume this would secure even further a server or my desktop machines
I have chrooted my dns, mail, and a few others already but I don't like much the
thought of binaries with such perms on my systems.........

I am wondering how many of the Admins out there do this to their machines
once properly installed........

Can someone give me a headsup on this issue or is it going to cause more problems
in the long run........

just looking for some input here folks.............

emf