Re: LeeNocks distro's ....

Subject: Re: LeeNocks distro's ....
From: Jason Jeremias (jasonj@uui-alaska.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 17:11:09 AKST

Well you're going to get many replies (bring on the Disto Wars :-).

My distro of choice is Gentoo Linux (http://www.gentoo.org). Its not
the easiest of disto's to install though. It's a source based
distribution, so it compiles everything from source code (completely
optimized for your hardware). They will be releasing 1.0 before the end
of March, already at RC2 I believe. I've heard the 1.0 release will
include pre-compiled i586 binaries for those who want to use them.

Once installed you'll never have to do a "upgrade" in the redhat,
mandrake, SuSE, etc.. since. All you'll need to do is

emerge --clean rsync ; emerge --world update
Doing this will keep you completely up to date.

Gentoo uses something they call portage, its like a cross between the
ports system from the bsd world, and the dependencies of rpms, debs with
an apt-get like power. Much more info on the website, I really prefer
it over any package system I've tried. The init system is really cool
as well, its basically a SYS V init system but has dependencies (for
example postfix depends on networking to be started, etc...) Just an
excellent distro with advanced features.

-Jason