Re: there is a new battlefield folks

Subject: Re: there is a new battlefield folks
From: Adam Elkins (LinuxRobot@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 19:47:59 AKST

James Zuelow wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, William F. Fulton wrote:
>
>>The text is out
>>http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html
>>
>Ah, so it is. Good. Already one note to add:
>
><Quote>
>(3) DIGITAL MEDIA DEVICE. -- The term "digital media device" means any
>hardware or software that --
>
>(A) reproduces copyrighted works in digital form;
>
>(B) converts copyrighted works in digital form into a form whereby the
>images and sounds are visible or audible; or
>
>(C) retrieves or accesses copyrighted works in digital form and transfers
>or makes available for transfer such works to hardware or software
>described in subparagraph (B).
></Quote>
>
>This definition is greatly watered down from the SSSCA draft, although
>Section A is still iffy. (A single memory DIMM still "reproduces
>copyrighted works in digital form" when it stores a program or digital
>movie/sound/image in RAM). Therefore, according to the letter of the
>law, a DIMM would still qualify and need copyright protection built in. I
>suspect that my interpretation isn't exactly what they have in mind - more
>like a CD duplicator. Sections B and C make more sense. I wouldn't be
>surprised to see Section A go away as being too broad.
>
>All in all, this version seems a little skimpy. I wonder if it is the
>whole bill - it looks like the entire "Security" section of the SSSCA was
>either dropped, or else not included with this link.
>
>Cheers,
>
>James

Why doesnt the Entertainment industry just stop whineing and realize
Music and what not is fast becoming "Open Source". They are just mad
because they have stoped making as much money as they used to. The
future of their money lies in Donations, just as Linux does. Making
money off this stuff is a thing of the past....
I see Micro$oft with the same future (As far as their OS goes) They will
be second rate soon,
Linux and Open source will take over the world!

Adam