Re: LILO

Subject: Re: LILO
From: Craig Callender (craigc@corith.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 21:50:24 AKST

Try adding the line

lba32

In the global part of your lilo.conf. Then don't forget to re-run lilo.

-- Craig C.

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:40:34 -0900
From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
To: aklug@aklug.org

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 23:08:48 -0900
Adam Elkins <LinuxRobot@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What would make lilo only get to LI? I knew I should have booted
> from floppy...
>
> Adam

Greetings Adam and everybody.

My experience with Lilo on this point is I have the wrong disk
parameters set in the bios. For example, I have used one box (with
mobo of course) to install a distro, then I move the hd to another
box (that does not have a cd-rom drive). I have to make sure the
disk parameters are the same in the new environment as they were in
the original environment.

Some old mobo's can't do LBA so I usually use the linear setting
even though the mobo can't see the whole disk. I make sure root "/"
and /boot are within the first 1024 cylinders on these old mobo's.
At 512 kB per cylinder, this boils down to the first 512 MB. This is
plenty of space for root "/" and /boot given I mount /usr, /var,
/home, and whatever I may have dreamed up from partitions in the
higher numberd cylinders (including the extended partition).

My suggestion is to futz around with the disk parameters until you
can boot.

Cheerio! fgd

        In the beginning there was data. The data was without form and
null, and darkness was upon the face of the console; and the Spirit of
IBM was moving over the face of the market. And DEC said, "Let there
be registers"; and there were registers. And DEC saw that they
carried; and DEC separated the data from the instructions. DEC called
the data Stack, and the instructions they called Code. And there was
evening and there was morning, one interrupt.
                -- Rico Tudor, "The Story of Creation or, The Myth of Urk"