Re: LILO

Subject: Re: LILO
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 16:27:34 AKST

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 23:08, Adam Elkins wrote:

> What would make lilo only get to LI? I knew I should have booted from
> floppy...
>
> Adam

I have used the following procedure to 'rescue' an instal from the 'LI'
and kernel panic issues.
1. You need a bootable rescue disk, floppy like Toms Root Boot, or one
of the many cdroms available.
2. Boot the rescue disk to a command prompt.
3. Make sure you know the lable of your disk partitions, i.e.
/(root)=/dev/hda2
4.Make a new directory, 'mkdir debian' named after whatever I have
installed or ..
5. Mount the root partition of the system you are trying to rescue into
the new dir you made in step 4.
6.If you use a separate partition for /boot you will need to do steps 4
& 5 for it also.
7. Use the 'chroot' command to change the root partition to whatever
partition that you mounted, i.e. 'chroot debian'
8. You now can make sure lilo & fstab are okay (lilo points to the
correct partiton or mbr) and rerun lilo.

chroot is not well documented as far as I know, but if you are on the
verge of a re-install it is fun (and educational) to play with.

This may also be the long way around :), YMMV.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.