Re: Arthur I have porting question sir!

Subject: Re: Arthur I have porting question sir!
From: Eric Fortner (emf33@gci.net)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 13:11:03 AKST

> I think you should first make sure he has some realistic expectations. That
> $500 he paid way back when in no way covers the cost of development of that
> app, they're amortizing that over the expected size of their market share.
> Unless you're going to pay some Indian firm to produce an equivalent program
> (where they can get away paying programmers $15/hr) this is going to cost him
> several thousand dollars to write at a minimum.

I figured the cost would be 6 times that! ($500)
The doctors and some labs in Colorado have been making
noise on a newer more efficient way of doctors and lab-owners
comspiring on work load. When I was home @ Xmass I talked with
their group on how linux can take them to that level by distributing
the bills and patient records on-line getting rid of hard copy paper
and adminstrative{managerial hords} between them......
I had approached with an open-office aspect of their offices mixed instead
of being closed.......more over for communications between doctors and
lab-techs too...

> As much as I'm for companies finding an excuse to deploy Linux, I doubt
> there's a solid business case here, *unless* he's going to become a software
> reseller as well. And that would require that he have a good enough pitch for
> why others should switch platforms, away from something that may very well be
> getting the job done (regular reboots not-withstanding).

Their is a very solid business case here, however it needs to be planned and
discussed further when I go back down, this is why I am trying to get what a
firm would be charging at minimal expense to start a ball rolling on a web based
front-end [perl,php,....] to a data-base backend [MySQL.....}

> As far as GUI/non-GUI, I think that question is more or less irrelevant given
> the current availability of good development tools on Linux. Hell, with Kylix
> Linux even has a top-notch RAD tool. And there's always Perl/Tk. ;-)

There are indeed many tools to use in linux in general to accomplish things
apps such as this and guis....I am not at that level yet, I can see what can
be accomplished though with linux deployed between these doctors and lab-owners.

> So, is his current platform costing him enough in lost productivity to justify
> a considerable out of pocket expense, or can he convince the applicable
> firm/programmers that there's enough of a market to justify the time
> investment in hopes of selling the title to a larger market?

I should say the current platform is not costing any monetary loss but may be adding
some grey-ish attribs to my father and the others........... ;)
They have learned, as have I that open-source/linux means nothing like free
beer, the bottom line to them is money. People are willing to pay for the software,
they cut preps/make teeth for living not software.....so up front/digging pockets
is expected. The software that is supposed to be trying to do this is just plain bad
stuff.......TigerView is supposed to be an app that intergrates with word...notice the
word "SUPPOSED"......so Arthur there is a road being made and you answered what questions
I have posed to you, thank you!

emf