RE: DHCP and multiple subnets

Subject: RE: DHCP and multiple subnets
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 21:29:57 AKST

> Actually, the virtual ethernet interfaces would look like this:
>
> eth0:0 - 192.168.1.0
> eth0:1 - 192.168.2.0
> eth0:2 - 192.168.3.0
>
> As for the DHCP server, I'm not sure if you have to run three different
> dhcp servers (which would make since to me) and bind them to a different
> interface, or if one server can bind a different subnet to different
> interfaces. I'm guessing the former.

I think you'll find that the opposite is true in general -- a single process
will poll multiple addresses, rather than run a separate process for each. I
know that this is definitely the case for ISC's DHCP daemon.

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto