Re: Printing Headache

Subject: Re: Printing Headache
From: Jim (jwadell@gci.net)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 17:13:25 AKST

Mike Tibor wrote:

> This has been a mild irritation for some time, but I just got told to deal
> with it despite it being my day off. Fun... ;-)
>
> We have a number of print queues on our RH 6.x server (BSD lpd, not LPRng
> or CUPS), and every once in awhile we run into a problem where lpd just
> doesn't seem to want to pass along print jobs to the printer. Here's what
> I do when I do an lpq on the problem queue:
>
> asimov:/var/log/printer# lpq -Pcirc
>
> asimov.lib.uaa.alaska.edu: Warning: no daemon present
> Rank Owner Job Files Total Size
> 1st root 268 /etc/printcap 2085 bytes
>
> JetDirect lpd: no jobs queued on this port
>
> The printer in question is an HP laserjet 4, and had been working
> flawlessly for the past two weeks.
>
> If I try to print to that queue, I get a "connection refused" message.
>
> I've had the user power off and power back on the printer, I've done
> "killall lpd ; /usr/sbin/lpd -l", I've done "lpc up circ", and still
> nothing comes out.
>
> Does anyone who has experience with BSD lpd have any ideas? (please no
> "just switch to <insert printing package here>")
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
> --
> Mike Tibor Univ. of Alaska Anchorage (907) 786-1001 voice
> Network Technician Consortium Library (907) 786-6050 fax
> tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/
> http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/pgpkey for PGP public keyJu

Just ran to a possible solution for this. We print to Laserjets from several
platforms (NT, Unix, etc) from ifferent servers. If one get stuck, the Jet
Direct catrd seems to sit and wait for the original source to finish the
busted job, sometimes even through a power-off. About the only thing you can
do is the power off!

Jim