Re: Backing up MySQL

Subject: Re: Backing up MySQL
From: Christopher S. Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 12:08:27 AKST

Mike,

> Besides using the mysqldump program, what methods are folks using to backup
> their MySQL databases?

I've tarred and gzipped /var/lib/mysql/dbname. I use this method to
keep two databases in sync and it's much faster than the mysqldump
method because restoring from a dump requires rebuilding the indexes
(depending on the nature of your indexes -- this particular database
has a FULLTEXT index, which takes a lot of CPU to regenerate).
Of course, the backup file is probably larger with a tar file because
you're backing up the indexes. So it's yet another speed vs. data
size trade-off.

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley           phone: 907-474-2689
Computer Systems Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu