Re: differences between StarOffice and OpenOffice

Subject: Re: differences between StarOffice and OpenOffice
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 21:27:25 AKST

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Stanley Long wrote:

> Looks to me like OpenOffice is maybe a MORE desirable product that the
> original StarOffice ??
>
> Breaking it down into individual units could be better, XML is better,
> and the "componentization" might lead to inter-operability with
> different spreadsheet/graphic modules.
>
> Only the loss of "certain file filters" might be bad.
> ===================

I believe StarOffice 6.0 will have better MS import/export (especially
export) filters - probably why Sun isn't going to give it away.

OpenOffice.org build 641 can open a lot of MS Word 97/2000/XP automated
forms (the ones with the tab fields and locked content), but you can't
unlock the form, edit the fields, and save it back to MS format. You have
to use the OpenOffice format - which isn't bad unless you have to cater to
MS Office users that use a lot of locked forms with calculated fields.
(The field formatting also tends to go by the wayside.)

That's the only place I've been frustrated with OpenOffice.org aside from
PowerPoint hyperlinks not working (not a feature I use a lot, so...). I
had the 6.0 beta but ditched it for OpenOffice.org, and that's where I'll
stay for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,

James