Re: e-mail server working! (partly)

Subject: Re: e-mail server working! (partly)
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 11:36:40 AKST

On 17 Feb 2002, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> I've never set up a mailserver - so maybe I'm out of line. But if I try
> to send mail on GCI's smtp server with the return address in my mail
> program (Evolution or whatever) set to me@alaska.net, I get back a
> similar 'relaying' message. So maybe you need to change who your mail is
> comming from.

Actually, you should be able to set your From: header to whatever you
like, because the ISP should be looking at what your IP address is as the
means of determining whether to relay for you.

The problem with making that determination based on the From: header is
because it's trivial to change. For example, say I'm a spammer wanting to
relay all my spam through mta-1.gci.net. If the only thing mta-1.gci.net
used as a means of determining whether to relay is the contents of the
From: header, then I could just set the From: header in all my spam to
something like <ILikeCheese@gci.net>.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax