Re: e-mail server working! (partly)

Subject: Re: e-mail server working! (partly)
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 11:18:22 AKST

On 17 Feb 2002, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> I've never set up a mailserver - so maybe I'm out of line. But if I try
> to send mail on GCI's smtp server with the return address in my mail
> program (Evolution or whatever) set to me@alaska.net, I get back a
> similar 'relaying' message. So maybe you need to change who your mail is
> comming from.

Well, I updated the Debian sendmail 8.9.3 to 8.12.2, reconfigured it to
use sensible_mda, and all of a sudden everything works as desired -
setting the smtp server to my mail server sends fine now. I downloaded
8.12.2 from sendmail.org, followed the generic compile and install
directions, then added in the Cwalaskatech.org and the define() for
sensible_mda and recompiled/installed the .mc file... Magic - it all
works.

My error log showed a conflict between what the DHCP server at GCI thought
my name was (ending in .anchorageak.net) and what my actual domain is
(alaskatech.org)...

No idea, but it works :-)