RE: Help regarding linux on a sparc20....

Subject: RE: Help regarding linux on a sparc20....
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 14:24:15 AKST

Craig Hasund writes:
> Does anyone have experience using linux (any flavor) on a SUN
> sparc platform (specifically Sparc20)? I've noticed that the
> gui for solaris significantly slows the machine down and am
> interested in either turning it off (not sure if that's possible)
> or installing linux without the Xserver stuff.

I run SuSE 7.3 for UltraSparc (ultra 2, 1 300mhz processor)

i've been using linux for sparc for about 18 months, and must say that
it's been pretty darn stable. for some things it's been faster (or more
resilient to fluctuation), and for some (like graphics) it's been slower.

Things to do: use a low footprint manager, not kde or gnome. twm is fairly
light, and there's probably others that folk know about.

if you need the ISO's for the sparc, let me know and I'll drop you a URL,
as i've got them local.

Leif