Re: Valid Block Device.

Subject: Re: Valid Block Device.
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 00:03:43 AKST

Adam,

What does 'ls -l /dev/cdrom*' show?

It should show a softlink to 'hdc' or whatever your CDROM is:

        /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

And what's in your '/etc/fstab' file?

Your fstab should have a line similar to:

 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

We ran into something on that box Neil Moomey was showing off a couple
of weeks ago where the CDROM was detected as an ide-cd during the
install but linux insisted on talking to it using ide-scsi afterward, or
vice-versa, or something like that. I remember even James Gibson was
having a hard time with it. Maybe if Neil's paying attention to the list
he'll tell how it was finally resolved.

Jim Gribbin