Re: Meeting info

Subject: Re: Meeting info
From: James F. Zuelow Jr. (jamesz@ideafamilies.org)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 08:25:58 AKST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Dieters" <enderak@yahoo.com>

> Yes, I agree - in my case, the only database experience i've had is with
> MS Access, and that experience is very limited. I've installed MySQL
> and various related stuff onto my computer, but as far as doing anything
> useful, i'm basically 'spinning my wheels' trying to get started...

The 'MySQL' book by New Riders (I forget the author) is a pretty good
introduction to MySQL - it walks you through setting up two different
databases. I've dabbled with the book and gotten a working database up and
running, but then didn't have time to create my own database - so I've
pretty much forgotten everything.

Sometimes (rarely) I wish I lived in Anchorage - I'd like to see a basic
MySQL presentation, and especially a more advanced presentation on MySQL as
a back end to a MS Access front end. There are a couple of times that
combination would have been an excellent solution to various problems (such
as publishing a database to the web for an office environment dependent on
Access, but without requiring that your users either have the same version
of Access on their computers or running IIS to serve the pages).

I will eventually work it out for myself, and perhaps give a short demo for
the Juneau LUG. Being lazy though, I'd much prefer someone else to show it
to me. :)

Cheers,

James