Re: root pswd?

Subject: Re: root pswd?
From: Craig Callender (craigc@corith.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 11:25:50 AKST

If you use lilol, you can boot with the options:

Linux root=/dev/hda1,ro init=/sbin/sh

This assumes that Linux is the name of your boot partition, and that your
root partition is /dev/hda1. After that, you have to remount the root
partition read/write by:

mount /dev/hda1 -t remount rw

This assumes once agian that your root partition is /dev/hda1. After
that, edit your /etc/shadow file and delete the encrypted part of root's
password. You can then reboot your machine. VERY IMPORTANT!!! Before
rebooting you must remount your HD with read-only access via:

mount /dev/hda1 -t remount ro

Well, there you go. If you use GRUB, i'm not sure of the command line
switches. I sorry!

Corith Malin